Windows defender is a built in malware protection that helps to improve the security of user’s data and it comes along with windows XP/7/8/10. In this tutorial I have written a guide on how you can turn on windows defender in windows 8, windows 10 and windows 7. You can use windows defender as an alternative for third part antivirus. Windows defender protect your computer from all external threats, however you need to have an antivirus separately installed on your computer. I prefer Avast internet security for windows users.
The windows defender will help you to detect and remove spyware, virus and all kind of malicious software. The windows defender always runs in background and it notify you if you need to do a particular task.
Why Turn on Windows Defender
If you are not using any third party antivirus software then you must turn on windows defender, windows usually provide some pop-ups to notify the users that windows defender is turned off. This antimalware program is already installed on your windows operating system; you don’t need to install it separately. The best features of windows defender are,
- Built in (No installation required)
- Highly compatible with windows
- Wont update until you say so (No annoying pop-ups)
- Real-time protection from external threats
- Can Scan your system at any time
How to turn on Windows Defender in windows 8
It is a simple task to turn on windows defender in windows 8; you just need to do as I tell you. Follow the below given step-by-step instructions to enable/turn on windows defender
- First you need to find the windows defender app for that you need to press the windows key and then search “defender”
- When you see windows defender in the search results, you need to open it by clicking.
- When the program is launched and if the windows defender by default turned on then it will open up and you can make changes. If it doesn’t open and display a dialog box saying “turn on windows defender”
- If the windows defender is turned off then you need to open “Action Center” to turn on windows defender, for that press the windows key and then search for “Action”
- The Result will be appeared and you will need to choose the first open from the result which says “Action center” and then a new window will be opened
- When you open Action center then you can see two alert notifications, “Spyware and unwanted software protection” and “Virus protection”
- From the “Action Center” you will be able to see your security and maintenance setting at the top of the security section you will be able to see “Network Firewall” and from the network firewall you can see your firewall is turned off
- Click on the link telling ”View installed firewall programs” and then you can see that your window defender firewall status as off
- Click on the “windows defender” and then click on the button that says “turn on…”
How to Turn on Windows defender on Windows 7
If you wish to turn on the windows defender on windows 7, all you need is to follow the below instructions, turning on your windows defender in a windows 7 is like that of windows 8
- Click on the start menu and then search for the “Windows defender” then you will be able to see the Windows defender in the search result and then launch it
- If the windows defender is not opening and instead it display “windows defender is not turned on” then you need to turn it on from the “Action center”
- You can open action center by searching it on the search bar or by clicking the taskbar icon and when the Action center window opens you just need to click on “view antispyware programs” then you can choose windows defender and turn it on.
You now know that the setting for both windows 7 and windows 8 are almost the same, you can do the same step for windows 10 also, Most antivirus companies provide their own firewall protection, so there is no need for windows defender. I am currently using Avast antivirus on my personal computer and in my opinion it is the best antivirus for capturing all kind of external threats
Microsoft launched windows defender for improving the user security, but it is a poor malware protection application. I hope you have understood how to turn on windows defender.